Friday, February 1, 2008

Going Green Goes to Hell



First of all I would like to welcome all of you to our blog. We encourage your input and value your comments and concerns.
With that said, raise your hand if you're a Duke fan, and found yourself screaming at the television for all those big brained masterminds to take those heinous, no good, "Bleed Blue Live Green" t-shirts, the hell off. My hand is lonely, unless for some reason Dick Vitale and my father are reading this. I actually found myself fist pumping when ESPN came back from the halftime show to acknowledge what the fans were up to.
In case you missed it, the university to my knowledge distributed green t-shirts to fans in an effort to raise awareness about global warming. After Duke let NC State embarass them in the first half, fans showed their displeasure by showering the court with those same t-shirts. Side note, was I the only one who noticed how many times they showed that poor cheerleader bending over right in front of the camera to pick up the t-shirts? Classy ESPN, real classy. Back to what I was saying, maybe it's as simple as the t-shirts had those annoying tags on them, you know the ones that itch the hell out of your neck. My guess is though that the fans superstitiousness and my superstitiousness kicked in. (someone spell check superstitiousness for me)
Now don't take this the wrong way, I'm all for, "Going Green," and helping the environment, but when my squads unblemished ACC record is on the line, the planet takes a backseat. Stop right there because I can hear you saying whoa whoa whoa David this is our planet we're talking about here, well does it make you feel any better that I watched the game with the lights off and didn't run the dishwasher last night? Come on now, how many people in the stands do you think did their best Al Gore impression by, wearing the shirt, watching the game, leaving Cameron, jumping in their 8 cylinder gas guzzler, cranking up the heat, walking in the door to their house, turning every light in the house on, and then cranking up the heat some more?
The point I'm trying to make here is, how amusing are we sports fans that we think a little green t-shirt can make a team go into the gutter (that's where Duke was in the first half, thanks in part to a few mental lapses and some outstanding shooting by State)? I was honestly worried, right up until the sight of a bunch of green t-shirts on a basketball court. The moment I saw those students ripping the shirts off their back, my stress went away. I can honestly say that from that point on I knew Duke had won the game.
Superstitions and jinxes will forever exist in sports, i.e the infamous black cat at the Red Sox game, Michael Jordans Carolina blue shorts, and even the sight of pitchers who step over the chalk line to and from the mound. All in all I know we'll have this conversation again, but for now Crazies, burn the shirts. Oops, that might create a greenhouse gas of some sort, how about you donate them to Goodwill instead.


No comments: