Friday, March 14, 2008

Don't Get Your Panties in a Bunch Doug


As you can tell by our latest poll, Doug Gottlieb is not well liked by our readers. This former Oklahoma State standout, referred to as, "The smartest basketball player I ever coached," by coaching legend Eddie Sutton, would no longer be on ESPN if you guys had your choice. Could it be because he loves to rattle on about himself and preach like hes gods gift to the world of college basketball analyzing, maybe? Or could it be that we're just plain jealous of him and feel he doesn't deserve the sweet job on ESPN because he ripped off a roommate's credit card at Notre Dame and decided to charge $900 worth of goodies on it? We all make mistakes and he was a young whippersnapper when it happened so I'm not going to lay into him for that. What I am going to do though is commend him on making a great observation I've been waiting about 3-5 years for someone to notice. I may be way off here but I seriously have never heard anyone mention this until he did about 30 minutes ago.

I have noticed this for the last 3-5 years and wondered how no one either noticed, or had the balls to say to K, hey, why the snubbage? Mike Krzyzewski for years now, for some reason has snubbed the sideline reporter and decided against a Halftime and Post-game on court interview. He usually assigns the job for assistant coach Chris Collins but sometimes has fellow assistants Johnny Dawkins or Steve Wojciechowski fill in. I guess my main question is boiled down into one word, why? Why Mike? What did some over payed sideline reporter say to you or ask you to have you continuously decide not to talk to them? Coach K has absolutely no problem fielding questions after the game during post game press conferences, so what's the big deal with giving your two sense at the end of the half? Is he afraid the other team is watching the broadcast and going to use his words against him? Who the hell knows? Coaches are coaches and are entitled to their space on the court so he absolutely has the right to keep his mouth shut. But when it seems that every other coach is willing to field a question or two on the floor, I just wonder why he chooses not too.

Now I'm sure someone, somewhere has mentioned this before, but I've neither read it nor heard it. So, my question to you is, do you know why this is or have an idea? We would love to hear your thoughts on the subject so feel free to comment. Calm down Doug, we'll get to the bottom of this.

No comments: